A massive, mile-wide tornado with winds up to 200 mph killed at least 51 people Monday afternoon during 40 terrifying minutes of destruction across southern Oklahoma City and its suburbs. CNN and NBC are both reporting that of those killed, at least 20 were children. The state medical examiner's office confirmed the number of deaths and said the toll was expected to rise. At least 70 ...
The Cocke County Sheriff's Office confirms that the man accused of sexual assaulting two teenagers has been taken into custody without incident. On Sunday night, a 15-year-old girl told Cocke County deputies at Tennova Medical Center's emergency room that Richard Sullivan, 40, sexually assaulted her. Deputies said those allegations also involved a 13-year-old, who authorities said ...
A wet spring and climbing temperatures mean mosquitoes are making their comeback to East Tennessee. The Knox County Health Department is already working to stay ahead of the seasonal problem. Earlier this month, the health department started setting traps all around the county to test the bugs for West Nile Virus. So far, each of the tests have come back with only negative results. In ...
A message of hope through the eyes of a 4th grader looks simple: smiley faces, bright colors, and encouraging words. But sometimes it's the simplest things that can change someone's day. "I really thought a sunset would make it calm and the rising sun would mean you will rise from your sickness," said Sacred Heart Cathedral 4th grader, Jenna Fairbrother, describing her ...
(WBIR - Knoxville) Dialing 911 has come a long way with changing technology. Most adults were taught how to dial those important numbers on a landline telephone. With smartphones seemingly replacing landlines, experts say it's important to make sure today's young children know how to use the mobile devices in case of an emergency. Most four-year-olds will say their favorite things to ...
66.6°F Scattered Clouds
The Great Dictator [Blu-Ray]
While it is not the greatest of his feature films, Charlie Chaplins tragicomic The Great Dictator is certainly his bravest, if not one of the bravest films ever made. A blatant satire of Adolf Hitler and the Third Reich, it was a lone cinematic cry for humanity to stand t ... ...
By MONA NAIR 6 News Reporter CAMP CREEK (WATE) – It's been two years since a deadly tornado hit the Camp Creek community in Greene County. Despite the time that's passed, when you look at the ...
Monday night, a couple baseball games in Blount County aimed to help players learn valuable lessons. The Challenger Baseball League is a program for people with mental or physical challenges. The league has players from five-year-olds to some who are older than 30. Everyone bats, runs, scores, and fields. It's all an opportunity for players to learn about teamwork and having fun. ...
Six people have been taken into custody following the discovery of two methamphetamine labs next door to each other in Blount County on Monday, authorities ...
A man accused in a fatal church van crash has been convicted in connection with several armed robberies that happened before the wreck. A jury found 22-year-old Tyler Schaeffer guilty in federal court on gun charges related to three robberies. He previously pleaded guilty to a total of seven robberies, as well as drug trafficking. He could face up to life in prison when he is sentenced in ...
The trial of a Greene County man who is accused of shooting his police officer father to death will be moved to another county. Ethan Self is charged with first-degree murder in the 2010 death of 46-year-old Roger Self, who was a sergeant with the Greeneville Police Department. Officials say Ethan Self used his father's gun to kill him while he slept on a couch. He was an 18-year-old ...
Making the news
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Stratosphere Casino Hotel & Tower Las Vegas
I booked a lower cost room at $39.95 a night at this landmark hotel at the top end of the ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Knoxville TimesKnoxville Times – News Portal for Knoxville, Tennessee
The Knoxville Times is essentially a local Knoxville newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Knoxville, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Knoxville, Tennessee, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Knoxville Times.
Of the forty five U.S. senators who voted down Wednesday's gun reform bill, 42 have received funding from arms manufacturers or their agents.
The London newspaper The Guardian revealed the statistic on Thursday citing a study dating back to 1990.
On Capitol Hill, 45% of the Senate was able to derail a proposal that polls say is supported by roughly 90% of Americans.
"Everyone who voted yesterday knows after reading that bill, in their heart of hearts, that the bill would have made America safer," MSNBC's co-host Mika Brzezinski said on Thursday's Morning Joe. "We are the 90%," his co-host Joe Scarborough added. "And 90% will not be ignored."
Forty one Republicans voted against the bill, as did four Democrats.
"All in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," President Barack Obamai, in company with victims of gun violence, told a press conference in the Rose Garden Wednesday.
Seven amendments were put up, covering assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and straw purchases. All 7 amendments were defeated.
The senators who opposed the bills were:
1. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
2. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
3. Sen. ...
- More troops due back at Fort Campbell
- Memphis Grizzlies Zach Randolph spurred on to do better against San Antonio
- Mosquitoes starting to bite in East Tennessee
- Kansas lands transfer Tarik Black from Memphis
- Knoxville UT looking to expand use of Worlds Fair Park
- Foldable electronics come closer to reality with inkjet-printed graphene
- Indo- Swiss bilateral meet held at Geneva
- More time in gym class lowers obesity risk in kids
- Frequent candy eaters not likelier to be overweight or have heart disease
- Indigenous culture youth among key topics as UN permanent forum opens 12th session
- South African regulator gives nod for Eskom wind power project
- Dubai makes $350 million off the environment
- UBD To Plant Trees For Green Wave Campaign
- 7-Eleven finds convenient business environment
- Xcel to seek bids for biomass power plant burning beetle-kill timber
- Yahoo buys blogging platform Tumblr for $1.1 bn cash
- Actavis buying Warner Chilcott in $8.5bn deal
- New business jet Challenger 350 launched by Bombardier
- Morgan Stanley to sell Indian private banking arm to StanChart
- Microsoft revealing next Xbox platform and vision for future of games
- Afghan women getting jailed for moral crimes
- 72 pc women experience constipation bowel problems during pregnancy
- Do men behave better than women while traveling
- Smoking during pregnancy up obesity and diabetes risk in baby girls
- In Kabul UNESCO chief spotlights Afghanistans educational and cultural gains
- India and China agree to boost trade and paper over border differences
- Former Pakistani military dictator Musharraf granted bail
- Over 60 killed in Iraq terror attacks
- 23 militants of Hezbollah group killed in clash with Syrian rebels
- Indian lorry driver jailed in Singapore
- Nash’s breakout game bodes well for Rangers
- Lundqvist turns aside shoulder concerns
- D’ daze Girardi Co. forge on after 5-goal dud
- Knicks final report card
- Spring pickups don’t Buck productive trend
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Knoxville Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- At least 51 dead in Okla. twister including at least 20 children
- Authorities arrest Cocke Co. man accused of sexually assaulting teens
- Mosquitoes starting to bite in East Tennessee
- 4th graders offer message of hope to cancer patients
- Teaching kids to dial 911 in the digital age