Emergency utility payments for the city's poor go to almost 10,000 households annually. The money and the problem reach across public funds, the Knoxville Utilities Board, nonprofits, the city and other agencies while dollars get tossed into a figurative ...
7 year-old Matthew Gray with Troop 131 pays respect after placing flags on graves at the Knoxville National Cemetery for Memorial Day Saturday, May 25, 2013. (Photo by Wade Payne, Special to the News ...
http://bit.ly/Zl8y7f ) reports the new regulations mean the Smoky Mountain Brewery in Maryville is now serving "growlers" again. Growlers are jugs filled with draft beer that customers can take with them when the ...
A body was found in Percy Priest Lake on Saturday, according to authorities. Officials with Metro Police, the Office of Emergency Management and Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency responded to Hole In The Wall Island around 11 a.m. Metro Police said detectives coordinated with OEM officials to put in a boat to recover the remains. TWRA officials confirm the deceased man was a boater who ...
http://bit.ly/11jsNCA ) reports the Shelby County Election Commission approved the date during a meeting on Friday. The action came after all six suburbs passed ordinances calling for a referendum on the issue on that ...
65.3°F Scattered Clouds
The bomb that was Cutthroat Island (1995) is probably the best thing that ever happened to Renny Harlin. He may not see it that way, since the ill-fated pirate adventure was intended to cement his status as an A-list action auteur after hi ... ...
Mike Conley could hand him the ball, take a step back and watch him create something from nothing. It wasn't often ideal -- usually a mid-range pull-up jumper -- but it was better than a three-second violation or a tipped entry pass. Conley came to depend on Gay, like a 6-foot-8 security blanket, willing to go one-on-one and rise over a defender in a way Conley never would. Memphis ...
County officials and the Coffee County Historical Society want to jump on repairs and start looking to possible updates to make the old structure last until the next century, county maintenance director Robert Gilliam said ...
A study by the Friends of the Library and the Memphis Library Foundation found that during the past five years, the system's budget has been cut 21 percent and hours were reduced 20 ...
OWENSBORO, Ky. (AP) -- Officials in western Kentucky are taking a cue from Tennessee in their effort to make Owensboro synonymous with bluegrass ...
Federal and state health officials are warning health care providers against using anti-inflammatory steroid injections from Main Street Family Pharmacy in Newbern, Tennessee after seven patients ...
Making the news
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
The Westin Resort & Spa, Whistler, Canada
After getting off the Greyhound bus I trudged through the Whistler Village to the bottom of Whistler Mountain, and there ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
Knoxville TimesKnoxville Times – News Portal for Knoxville, Tennessee
The Knoxville Times is essentially a local Knoxville newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Knoxville, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Knoxville, Tennessee, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Knoxville Times.
Of the forty five U.S. senators who voted down Wednesday's gun reform bill, 42 have received funding from arms manufacturers or their agents.
The London newspaper The Guardian revealed the statistic on Thursday citing a study dating back to 1990.
On Capitol Hill, 45% of the Senate was able to derail a proposal that polls say is supported by roughly 90% of Americans.
"Everyone who voted yesterday knows after reading that bill, in their heart of hearts, that the bill would have made America safer," MSNBC's co-host Mika Brzezinski said on Thursday's Morning Joe. "We are the 90%," his co-host Joe Scarborough added. "And 90% will not be ignored."
Forty one Republicans voted against the bill, as did four Democrats.
"All in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," President Barack Obamai, in company with victims of gun violence, told a press conference in the Rose Garden Wednesday.
Seven amendments were put up, covering assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and straw purchases. All 7 amendments were defeated.
The senators who opposed the bills were:
1. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
2. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
3. Sen. ...
- IBM team tackled $5 million Knoxville problem drafty homes
- A lesson to remember Knoxville Scouts decorate graves in memory tribute for holiday
- Take-out beer allowed again
- Body found in Percy Priest Lake
- Memphis suburbs to hold school referendum July 16
- Ryder makes low-key gym comeback away from prying eyes following bar assault
- Women gymgoers filthier than men
- Less Fed aid sign of health
- Understanding the new health reform tax credit
- Sport on TV Not-so-fast Eddie sets a blistering pace in the Cape
- Chiles indigenous fight worlds largest gold miners to protect environment
- Why worrying about food miles is missing the point
- Britain calls for EU target to halve emissions by 2030
- Britain resists EU bid to set new target on renewable energy
- Chile Pascua-Lama Mine Halted for Environmental Offences
- Powerful women join Forbes list
- Amazon ventures into fan fiction promotion
- Fracking energy revolution begins to rock the world
- Samsung Debuts The New Galaxy S IV
- First Impressions Review Of The Samsung Galaxy S4
- $2.6 mn necklace spirited away at Cannes Film Festival
- African Leaders Condemn Ongoing Use of Cluster Bombs
- UAE minister ranked 67th among worlds 100 powerful women
- Women should look real raw Gisele Bundchen
- US mom gave birth to child after her heart stopped and then came back to life
- Kuchar holds Colonial lead
- VOTE What was the best Subway Series moment
- Mets fall in 10th of resumed game for fourth straight loss
- Gametracker Yankees At Rays
- Robbens 89th-minute goal sends Bayern Munich to Champions League title
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Knoxville Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Destination Imagination wraps Saturday
- Knox Know-It-All Whatever happened to the White Pages
- Red Cross sends 2 more East TN volunteers to Moore OK
- Make-A-Wish whisks local teen to Disney World
- IRS audits thousands of adoptive families