Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
Asserting that India is a complete film making destination Union Tourism Minister K. Chiranjeevi has offered wide opportunities to foreign film producers in the country. Speaking at the Cannes International Film Festival at Cannes, France, yesterday, the Minister said " We try constantly for creating new opportunities for the international filmmakers, to access diverse Indian locations, and ...
Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh has taken a decision to award minor penalty of censure to four officers of DGCA namely James George, Assistant Director (Airworthiness), V.P. Massey, Director (Airworthiness), R.K. Yadav, Assistant Director (Airworthiness) and Rajiv Gaur, Assistant Director (AE) for non-intimation of employment of their dependents in the private airlines or any sector under ...
Economic activity associated with tourism grew 4 percent in 2012 compared with the year before, Mexico's INEGI statistics service said. Spending by foreign and domestic tourists increased by 4.7 percent last year. In the fourth quarter of 2012, tourism activity topped the same period in 2011 by 4 percent, INEGI said Monday. By segments, spending by domestic tourists rose 4.8 percent, while ...
Earnings from tourism in Mauritius fell 12.4 percent from a year earlier to 12 billion rupees (R3bn) in the first three months of this year as the weak economic environment in Europe hurt visitors’ spending. Statistics Mauritius cut its forecast for visitor arrivals this year to 990 000 from a previous estimate of 1 million, but expected tourism revenue to rise to 46.1bn rupees from 44.3bn ...
66.6°F Scattered Clouds
The Great Dictator [Blu-Ray]
While it is not the greatest of his feature films, Charlie Chaplins tragicomic The Great Dictator is certainly his bravest, if not one of the bravest films ever made. A blatant satire of Adolf Hitler and the Third Reich, it was a lone cinematic cry for humanity to stand t ... ...
The selection of Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, for the "best medical tourism facility" award, as part of the National Tourism Awards 2011-12 by the Union ministry of tourism, has kicked up a controversy.The awards were presented by President Pranab Mukherjee in the presence of Tourism Minister K. Chiranjeevi at a function in New Delhi on March 18. Andhra Pradesh, Chiranjeevi's home ...
MUSCAT, Oman - In response to the directives of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said to convert Sultan Qaboos Port into a tourist port, Dr Ahmed bin Salim Al Futaisi, Minister of Transport and Communications, announced Sunday, the approval of the master plan for the development of the port for tourism and for the establishment of a specialised company that will act as a developer for the project. ...
Economy-class passengers on the new route, which will initially use an Airbus 340, will be charged about 5,500 yuan ($895.4) for return tickets up to the end of ...
Medical tourism has been brought to the fore with renewed optimism and a host of projects as announced by the Dubai Health Authority (DHA) on Sunday. The projects are part of the authority's strategy for 2013-2025, which build on His Highness Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of Dubai's long-term sustainable development ...
pilot s have been told that until Sept 30, those who quit may have their bonds waived. The usual payback for leaving before serving the seven-year work bond can be more than S$250,000 ...
Making the news
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Stratosphere Casino Hotel & Tower Las Vegas
I booked a lower cost room at $39.95 a night at this landmark hotel at the top end of the ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Knoxville TimesKnoxville Times – News Portal for Knoxville, Tennessee
The Knoxville Times is essentially a local Knoxville newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Knoxville, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Knoxville, Tennessee, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Knoxville Times.
Of the forty five U.S. senators who voted down Wednesday's gun reform bill, 42 have received funding from arms manufacturers or their agents.
The London newspaper The Guardian revealed the statistic on Thursday citing a study dating back to 1990.
On Capitol Hill, 45% of the Senate was able to derail a proposal that polls say is supported by roughly 90% of Americans.
"Everyone who voted yesterday knows after reading that bill, in their heart of hearts, that the bill would have made America safer," MSNBC's co-host Mika Brzezinski said on Thursday's Morning Joe. "We are the 90%," his co-host Joe Scarborough added. "And 90% will not be ignored."
Forty one Republicans voted against the bill, as did four Democrats.
"All in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," President Barack Obamai, in company with victims of gun violence, told a press conference in the Rose Garden Wednesday.
Seven amendments were put up, covering assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and straw purchases. All 7 amendments were defeated.
The senators who opposed the bills were:
1. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
2. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
3. Sen. ...
- Memphis Grizzlies Zach Randolph spurred on to do better against San Antonio
- Mosquitoes starting to bite in East Tennessee
- Kansas lands transfer Tarik Black from Memphis
- Knoxville UT looking to expand use of Worlds Fair Park
- NC woman accused of trying to poison 5 with cheese
- Indo- Swiss bilateral meet held at Geneva
- More time in gym class lowers obesity risk in kids
- Frequent candy eaters not likelier to be overweight or have heart disease
- Indigenous culture youth among key topics as UN permanent forum opens 12th session
- India UK sign MoU on cooperation in health sector
- South African regulator gives nod for Eskom wind power project
- Dubai makes $350 million off the environment
- UBD To Plant Trees For Green Wave Campaign
- 7-Eleven finds convenient business environment
- Xcel to seek bids for biomass power plant burning beetle-kill timber
- Yahoo buys blogging platform Tumblr for $1.1 bn cash
- Actavis buying Warner Chilcott in $8.5bn deal
- New business jet Challenger 350 launched by Bombardier
- Morgan Stanley to sell Indian private banking arm to StanChart
- Would Peter Drucker Wear Google Glass
- 72 pc women experience constipation bowel problems during pregnancy
- Do men behave better than women while traveling
- Smoking during pregnancy up obesity and diabetes risk in baby girls
- In Kabul UNESCO chief spotlights Afghanistans educational and cultural gains
- AFC Asian Cup India women ready for Myanmar challenge
- Nash’s breakout game bodes well for Rangers
- Lundqvist turns aside shoulder concerns
- D’ daze Girardi Co. forge on after 5-goal dud
- Knicks final report card
- Spring pickups don’t Buck productive trend
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Knoxville Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- At least 51 dead in Okla. twister including at least 20 children
- Authorities arrest Cocke Co. man accused of sexually assaulting teens
- Mosquitoes starting to bite in East Tennessee
- 4th graders offer message of hope to cancer patients
- Teaching kids to dial 911 in the digital age