The shift away from paper records and the overt dependence on computers to boost proficiency has created new challenges for both the government and private companies, as they defend intellectual property, scrutinise fraud, and guard their reputations from external threats. With cyber crime rife, a need is being felt that private players should be given the space to contribute to securing ...
TI Sparkle, the international services arm of Telecom Italia Group, and Gateway, a self-styled 'alternative local operator' based in Libya, have signed an agreement for the provisioning of international end-to-end services to and from the North African nation. The services, which primarily cater for the demands of corporate customers, are offered through a joint platform composed of ...
IDG News Service - China's Baidu has long dominated the country's search market. But a local rival to the company is bolstering its own search services with the help of e-commerce giant Alibaba Group. On Wednesday, Qihoo 360 appeared to debut ...
Computerworld - Apple will build Macs in Texas using some parts made in the U.S., CEO Tim Cook said Tuesday, putting a little flesh on a pledge from last December. In a prepared statement Cook read before a Senate subcommittee yesterday, the chief executive named Texas as the location of a new factory where Apple will assemble Macs. Cook was in Washington, D.C. ...
The SolarImpulse aircraft will land at D/FW Airport at 1 a.m. Thursday morning and will be on display for the public from 1 p.m. to 7 p.m. Thursday. The SolarImpulse aircraft will make history Wednesday as it flies nonstop from Phoenix to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. Swiss pilot Andre Borschberg took off today at 4:45 a.m. from Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport and is expected ...
Gate of Hell (Jigokumon) [Blu-Ray]
Although largely unseen in decades and subsequently marginalized in film history except among the most dedicated of Japanese film enthusiasts, Teinosuke Kinugasas Gate of Hell (Jigokumon) was one of the most important films of its era. The first Japanese film to win the Gra ... ...
Dish Network has brought up national security as an issue should SoftBank acquire Sprint Nextel. Dish Network Corp.'s courting of Sprint Nextel Corp. took on a tone of international intrigue as the Colorado-based satellite entertainment company played up rival SoftBank's Corp.'s ties to China. The Kansas City Business Journal reported that an anti-SoftBank website funded by Dish ...
Apple CEO Tim Cook defends his company's tax strategies at a U.S. Senate hearing. Apple CEO Tim Cook survived his first congressional hearing Tuesday with his company's reputation for innovation intact. Today, however, the focus wasn't on a new technological breakthrough by Apple, it was on the creative ways the multinational corporation reduces its U.S. tax liability. Here are four ...
Chorus Call, the makers of the web video conferencing platform Concert-oh, are now offering an enterprise version of the platform. After spending the last few years building out Concert-oh for consumers, the Monroeville-based company created C-Meeting, the next evolution of the tool with specific features, like higher security, aimed at corporate customers. C-Meeting is a convenient ...
Pittsburgh law firm Leech Tishman has opened an office in Pasadena, Calif., led by Alan Kindred and Ivan Posey, veteran intellectual property lawyers who previously operated a namesake practice. It is the firms fourth office. This transaction enabled Leech Tishman to create an intellectual property practice group to its list of services. Leech Tishman Managing Partner Pete Fuscaldo said in a ...
Rutvik Mehta created ThermoAura along with two Rensselaer professors. ThermoAura Inc., a startup in Troy, NY, has won more venture funding to commercialize something a mere one-thousandth of the width of a human hair. The company closed an agreement May 21 with Eastern New York Angels LLC. That Capital Region fund will invest $250,000 in ThermoAura over the course of this year. The money will ...
Making the news
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Stratosphere Casino Hotel & Tower Las Vegas
I booked a lower cost room at $39.95 a night at this landmark hotel at the top end of the ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Knoxville TimesKnoxville Times – News Portal for Knoxville, Tennessee
The Knoxville Times is essentially a local Knoxville newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Knoxville, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Knoxville, Tennessee, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Knoxville Times.
Of the forty five U.S. senators who voted down Wednesday's gun reform bill, 42 have received funding from arms manufacturers or their agents.
The London newspaper The Guardian revealed the statistic on Thursday citing a study dating back to 1990.
On Capitol Hill, 45% of the Senate was able to derail a proposal that polls say is supported by roughly 90% of Americans.
"Everyone who voted yesterday knows after reading that bill, in their heart of hearts, that the bill would have made America safer," MSNBC's co-host Mika Brzezinski said on Thursday's Morning Joe. "We are the 90%," his co-host Joe Scarborough added. "And 90% will not be ignored."
Forty one Republicans voted against the bill, as did four Democrats.
"All in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," President Barack Obamai, in company with victims of gun violence, told a press conference in the Rose Garden Wednesday.
Seven amendments were put up, covering assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and straw purchases. All 7 amendments were defeated.
The senators who opposed the bills were:
1. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
2. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
3. Sen. ...
- Route 25 reopened after rockslide cleared
- Police charge 3 in transplanted NC womans slaying
- W.Va.s local-food movement a model for Appalachia
- Knoxville Tea Party supporters protest IRS
- San Antonio Spurs take 2-0 lead over Memphis Grizzlies in Western Conference finals
- Murofushi loses appeal in IOC member election
- Azad meets US Health Secretary Sebelius
- Indo-China bilateral meet on healthcare sector held at Geneva
- Kerala Cabinet approves comprehensive mental health policy
- Collage of Health Sciences holds seminar
- Fire damages timber factory in Delhi
- Lily Cole to recieve honorary doctorate
- BJP says UPA govt led to an environment of gloom and pessimism
- The farmed halibut thats better to eat than its wild brothers
- Ancient redwood forests evoke look of future in After Earth
- U.S. dollar slips against euro after Fed official remarks
- T. rex cousin fed more like falcon than crocodile
- Microsoft launches all-in-one home entertainment system Xbox One
- Microsoft unveils new all-in-one Xbox console
- Microsoft Unveils New Xbox One Game Console
- Oz women cricketers Down Under on top of world after hefty pay-hike
- Do-or-die for India women against Chinese Taipei
- Number of Afghan women jailed for moral crimes increasing says human rights group
- Women should enjoy their sexuality says Heather Graham
- Saudi cleric says using air-conditioners by women immoral
- Dozens killed as tornado hits Oklahoma
- US president lauds Thein Sein for Myanmar reforms but urges end to violence against Muslims
- Six Afghan policemen killed in Herat bombing
- Genocide conviction of former Guatemala dictator overturned
- Chinese boat with 16 fishermen freed by North Korea
- Raiders return for Woodson
- Namath criticizes Jets Geno pick backs Sanchez
- NFL to hold 2014 Draft in May could move out of NYC
- Clark could take legal route
- MWC commish Playoffs wont stay at four teams
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Knoxville Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Two injured in Knoxville home fire
- 2 residents taken to the hospital after Knoxville electrical fire
- Rockwood plant to half its workforce
- $22000 reward offered in bald eagle shootings
- Prosecutors Lowe paid employees who didnt work