The Saudi Arabia state news agency has reported a coordinated attack on the country's government websites. Several government websites in Saudi Arabia came under heavy cyber attacks last week, shutting them down for a short time. The attacks have been traced to IP addresses from a number of countries. Saudi investigators found the attacks had been launched from hundreds of Internet ...
Britain's Financial Times was hacked last week by a mysterious group calling itself the Syrian Electronic Army. The newspaper's technology blog was hacked to display a slogan saying: "Hacked by the Syrian Electronic Army." Several Twitter feeds run by the Financial Times were also plastered with similar slogans. The FT later said its blogs and social media accounts had been compromised ...
U.S. crude futures were steady in early Asian trading on Monday, holding above $96 a barrel after rallying last week on positive economic data in top oil consumer the United States. U.S. consumer sentiment in early May rose more than economists had expected, with more Americans giving favorable views about their financial and economic prospects, particularly among upper-income ...
Google Nexus 4 has finally made its way to India. Though it is being sold by LG and remains unavailable on Google Play Store as of now, we are glad that the much-awaited flagship Nexus smartphone of Google is finally retailing in the domestic market. It is widely known that Nexus 4 has top-notch hardware (at least as per last year's standards, when it was launched) and is priced much more ...
New York: The board of Yahoo! has agreed to a deal to purchase the popular blogging platform Tumblr for $1.1 billion, the Wall Street Journal reported Sunday.Yahoo! did not immediately return AFP's calls for confirmation, but CEO Marissa Mayer has scheduled a news conference in New York Monday at which the company said it will unveil "something special."Reports last week said ...
63.0°F Mostly Cloudy
Bringing Down the House
No matter how innocent or revolutionary the final product is meant to be, making comedies about race is always a delicate matter because, in trying to dismantle stereotypes by mocking their very conception, the filmmakers constantly run the risk of reinforcing them simply by trotting them out. Such is the case with Bringing Down the House, an often funny, often uncomfortable comedy that tr ... ...
According to investigators, Marcos Arenas, 15, was walking down a street with an iPad on Thursday when a passenger got out of a vehicle and tried to steal the device from ...
The headquarters of Unit 61398, center, in Shanghai. The unit of the People's Liberation Army is believed to have resumed its attacks on American companies and government ...
baffled even core developers for the virtual currency. Who is Satoshi Nakamoto, the pseudonym for the person or group of people who came up with the original idea for the electronic cash system in 2008? After contributing thousands of lines of code and hundreds of posts on Bitcoin, Nakamoto sent a note to a developer in April 2011 saying that he had "moved on to other things." Later ...
The company apologized after an Instability forced it to take the preview version of a synchronization tool offline earlier than expected. The service syncs files on mobile devices, the Web, and ...
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Yahoo Inc's board has approved a deal to buy blogging and social networking site Tumblr for $1.1 billion in cash, the Wall Street Journal cited people familiar with the matter as saying on Sunday.Such an acquisition would be Marissa Mayer's largest deal since taking the helm of the once-iconic Internet company in July 2012. Yahoo is keen on fast-growing Tumblr ...
Making the news
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
New York-New York Hotel & Casino
Awe struck us on our arrival at this relatively new hotel and casino establishment at the top of the Strip. ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Knoxville TimesKnoxville Times – News Portal for Knoxville, Tennessee
The Knoxville Times is essentially a local Knoxville newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Knoxville, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Knoxville, Tennessee, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Knoxville Times.
Of the forty five U.S. senators who voted down Wednesday's gun reform bill, 42 have received funding from arms manufacturers or their agents.
The London newspaper The Guardian revealed the statistic on Thursday citing a study dating back to 1990.
On Capitol Hill, 45% of the Senate was able to derail a proposal that polls say is supported by roughly 90% of Americans.
"Everyone who voted yesterday knows after reading that bill, in their heart of hearts, that the bill would have made America safer," MSNBC's co-host Mika Brzezinski said on Thursday's Morning Joe. "We are the 90%," his co-host Joe Scarborough added. "And 90% will not be ignored."
Forty one Republicans voted against the bill, as did four Democrats.
"All in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," President Barack Obamai, in company with victims of gun violence, told a press conference in the Rose Garden Wednesday.
Seven amendments were put up, covering assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and straw purchases. All 7 amendments were defeated.
The senators who opposed the bills were:
1. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
2. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
3. Sen. ...
- Knoxville man faces charges for transporting 335 pounds of pot
- Triology tour Author Atkinson talks World War II in Knoxville visit
- NBA San Antonio 105 Memphis 83
- San Antonio Spurs open Western Conference finals with blowout victory over Memphis Grizzlies
- Haslam to highlight bills during ceremonial signings in East Tennessee
- Pakistani health officials blamed for measles outbreak
- Doping remains a threat to Australian sport ACC
- CDC report Child mental health disorders rise significantly
- Graduation University of the Pacific Thomas J. Long School of Pharmacy and Health Sciences -- Published May 19 2013
- Guns a public health issue
- Americans happier with economic figures
- SAPVoice The Overlooked Social Media Marketing For Senior Citizens
- Credit Suisse Says Wearable Tech The Next Big Thing
- Study 78 Of Salespeople Using Social Media Outsell Their Peers
- Employee Engagement Every Leaders Imperative
- Delhi runs for safety of women
- Berlusconis bunga bunga parties featured nuns and nurses but no sex
- Protests halt debate over eliminating violence against women in Afghan parliament
- Women fall for men with styled facial hair
- Women likelier than men to blame their partner during arguments
- Senators sneak past Penguins
- Cabrera hits 3 HRs vs. Rangers but Tigers lose
- Pedroia Middlebrooks homers power BoSox to fifth straight
- Report Roy a strong candidate for Colorado job
- Moore improves to 8-0 as Rays beat Os for sweep
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Knoxville Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Wet weekend weather blamed for bad business
- Stand in the Gap continues push to curb meth use
- Knoxville man faces charges for transporting 335 pounds of pot
- Union County traffic stop nets 300-plus pounds of pot
- THP Man killed in crash passenger charged with DUI by consent