Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson was named the Premier League manager of the year and accepted the award from the League Manager Association Monday. Ferguson, 71, announced his retirement last week after 27 years at the helm transforming United into a great team with a record of 20 top-flight league titles. His 1,500th and last match in charge of United was a stunning 5-5 draw at ...
Singer Tulisa Contostavlos and her beau Danny Simpson are reportedly facing a rough patch in their relationship. The couple has been dating each other from November last year, and they have been public about it. However, all's not well in their paradise, reports thesun.co.uk. "Danny and Tulisa's relationship became public very quickly and was very full-on. They've had a lot of stress and it ...
Actor Will Smith may have pulled off several stunts in Hollywood films, but he doesn't know how to swim! He didn't learn to swim as he didn't have too many swimming pools in his vicinity when he was young. "I can't swim. In inner City Philadelphia, there's not a lot of swimming pools and I never actually learnt how to swim and I'm embarrassed about it," femalefirst.co.uk quoted the 44-year-old ...
REDMOND, WASHINGTON Microsoft Corp gave the world the first look at its new game console on Tuesday, hoping the Xbox One will attract existing video game fans while also becoming a hub for living room entertainment. The third-generation Microsoft console, coming eight years after the Xbox 360, was unveiled by games unit chief Don Mattrick at an event at the software company's campus ...
Justin Bieber, who grabbed three awards at the Billboard Music Awards, was booed by the audience as he went on stage to give his acceptance speech. The shocked singer said that he is an 'artist' who should be taken seriously, the Sun reported. He also said that at the age of 19, he thinks that he is doing a pretty good job and that it's his music and the craft that should be talked about. The ...
63.1°F Mostly Cloudy
Shaun of the Dead
George A. Romero has given the British zombie parody Shaun of the Dead a ringing endorsement and even invited cowriter and star Simon Pegg to play a cameo role in his upcoming Land of the Dead (the third sequel to 1968's Night of the Living Dead). In a way, I' ... ...
Celebrity trainer Tracy Anderson has got big A-list fans like Gwyneth Paltrow and Jennifer Lopez that swear by her high-energy , calorie burning workouts. She's following up her fitness/beauty multiplex with another new endeavor - a meal delivery service. The Food Program by Tracy Anderson (which launched in L.A. in April but will go national on June 1) was developed by the celebrity trainer ...
Singer Kesha attended the Billboard Music Awards 2013 in a little black dress, but without an underwear. She says it was a conscious decision. "I'm rolling with my by out. It's a different look for me. I like to mix it up," eonline.com quoted the singer as saying. "I wanted to be really naked in every sense of the word, so I went bare with the makeup, bare with the by," she ...
Ke$ha nearly bared her bottom in a low-key dress during the 2013 Billboard Music Awards. The 26-year-old pop-singer hardly had her backside under wraps in a bottom-skimming black dress with waist-high slits, the New York Post reported. Ke$ha, who looked quite sophisticated in the high-necked ruffled dress with not even a hint of cleavage, showed off her naughty side by turning to the left with ...
Riding on its extensive cinema industry, which produces one of the largest number of films in India, the government of the southern Indian state of Andhra Pradesh is keen to use the latest technological innovations in the industry to create skill development and employment opportunities for its youth. "We are planning to set up a GAME city which will serve as the hub for Gaming, Animation, ...
Music reality TV show "Britain's Got Talent" contestant Maarty Broekman says he wants to make music with judge Alesha Dixon. The eccentric Dutchman auditioned shirtless - he came dressed in a red leather jacket and sequinned leather trousers. He impressed the judges when he sang classic tune "Backdoor Lover". "Maybe Alesha and I can write music together. I'll wait for that day, after I win the ...
Making the news
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, Canada
A grand traditional hotel, in the heart of downtown Vancouver. The hotel is one of three Fairmonts in this Canadian-gateway ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Knoxville TimesKnoxville Times – News Portal for Knoxville, Tennessee
The Knoxville Times is essentially a local Knoxville newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Knoxville, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Knoxville, Tennessee, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Knoxville Times.
Of the forty five U.S. senators who voted down Wednesday's gun reform bill, 42 have received funding from arms manufacturers or their agents.
The London newspaper The Guardian revealed the statistic on Thursday citing a study dating back to 1990.
On Capitol Hill, 45% of the Senate was able to derail a proposal that polls say is supported by roughly 90% of Americans.
"Everyone who voted yesterday knows after reading that bill, in their heart of hearts, that the bill would have made America safer," MSNBC's co-host Mika Brzezinski said on Thursday's Morning Joe. "We are the 90%," his co-host Joe Scarborough added. "And 90% will not be ignored."
Forty one Republicans voted against the bill, as did four Democrats.
"All in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," President Barack Obamai, in company with victims of gun violence, told a press conference in the Rose Garden Wednesday.
Seven amendments were put up, covering assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and straw purchases. All 7 amendments were defeated.
The senators who opposed the bills were:
1. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
2. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
3. Sen. ...
- East Tennessee groups offer aid to Okla. tornado victims
- Charley Walters Phil Housley lands job as Nashville Predators assistant coach
- Severe Weather Threats Moves into Lower Great LakesTennessee Valley on Wednesday
- Downtown Knoxville library to close for HVAC repairs
- Wife of Nashville Crewmember Questions Emotional Toll of Industry Work
- Celebrity trainer Tracy Andersons diet plan finds big fan in J.Lo
- Anabolic-androgenic steroids linked to reduced future mental health
- Foldable electronics come closer to reality with inkjet-printed graphene
- Indo- Swiss bilateral meet held at Geneva
- More time in gym class lowers obesity risk in kids
- Will Emirates love for environment drive in hybrid cars
- Laos considers requirements to adopt timber trade regulations
- Greenpeace drops item on Swedish reactor from glider to make point
- On the Scene in Tornado Hit Town Even Trees are Stripped of Everything
- QA Reworking Finance to Serve People and the Environment
- Microsoft Unveils New Xbox One Game Console
- Top dogs Highest zoo CEO pay
- NY Digital Health Accelerator Is a Model to Emulate Startups Perspective
- French Tax Soars Over 100
- Business Expansion Then Dump the Debt
- Enhanced contract payments for Australian cricket eves
- Simon Cowell to be flanked by 3 female judges in new X Factor season
- Afghan women getting jailed for moral crimes
- 72 pc women experience constipation bowel problems during pregnancy
- Do men behave better than women while traveling
- Dozens killed as tornado hits Oklahoma
- US president lauds Thein Sein for Myanmar reforms but urges end to violence against Muslims
- Six Afghan policemen killed in Herat bombing
- Genocide conviction of former Guatemala dictator overturned
- Chinese boat with 16 fishermen freed by North Korea
- Harvey intimidates foes lifts spirits of Mets fans
- With options few GM plans to bring core back
- Sandy Ike will stay in majors ‘a little bit longer’
- Woodson has support of his boss
- Yankees can set up 2014 pen on cheap
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Knoxville Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- ORNL technology used to aid Okla. storm recovery
- East Tennessee groups offer aid to Okla. tornado victims
- Truth or Tall Tale Inside Millennium Manor
- Redevelopment rivalry between Chattanooga and Knoxville benefited both cities
- RuralMetro offers emergency preparedness tips