Work began on Monday on the development of a man-made island in Dubai, 500 metres directly opposite the Jumeirah Beach Residence complex. To be known as Bluewaters Island, the new development will house five star hotels and resorts, al fresco dining and entertainment zones, and residential apartments and villas. The focal point of the island city, which will cost $1.6 billion, will be a 688 ...
Sports Minister Jitendra Singh on Thursday said he has been forced to hang his head in shame due to the Indian Premier League (IPL) spot-fixing scandal, which is becoming bigger and murkier with each passing day, insisting that a deterrent law could have prevented the credibility crisis that cricket is facing right now. "It is very shameful. As a young person, as a sports fan, as the Sports ...
Sports media giant ESPN has given pink slips to some of its 7,000 employees as a cost cutting measure. In a statement, the Connecticut-based company said it is implementing the changes to enhance continued growth, while smartly managing costs. ESPN said it is confident that it would be more competitive, innovative and productive after this decision. According to a CNN report, about ...
DC Comics has won a Federal Court case against a Melbourne gym over the term 'Superman Workout' which the company used to promote its products, allowing the fitness company to register 'superman workout' as a trademark. The gym Cheqout had had been using the phrase to describe its workout DVDs and video clips, but DC Comics challenged the trademark, saying Cheqout's consumers would think it was ...
Sports media giant ESPN has given pink slips to some of its 7,000 employees on Tuesday, the network said in a statement. The Bristol, Connecticut-based company said it was looking at the financial bottom line. In a statement the company said that they were implementing changes across the company to enhance their continued growth while smartly managing costs. It added that while difficult, ...
82.4°F Partly Cloudy
The Rules of Attraction
The Rules of Attraction is pointless adolescent nihilism wrapped up in new-wave film school pretension. The nonlinear storyline, showy use of reverse motion, and incessant internal dialogue give the vague appearance of depth, but they cant hide the fact that writer/director Roger Avary (Killing Zoe) doesnt seem to have a clue where hes going. ...
David Rudisha will, however, miss the action as he will compete at the third leg of IAAF Diamond League meeting in New York tomorrow. World and Olympic 3,000m ...
Tusker had won the first leg 1-0 and so went through on goal aggregate in a fixture that was overshadowed by controversial post-match comments from both ...
Cat beards, you see, are having a moment - not least because the way you get one is to hold your pet against your face, and I can't imagine many mogs putting up with that for more than six seconds. Achieve yours by putting your kitty in front of you, getting it to look upwards and having an accomplice take a photo. For a truly realistic-looking cat beard, line up your cat's snout with ...
Jeremy Laurance is Health Editor of The Independent and the i and has covered the specialism for more than 20 years. He thinks the harm medicine does is under-appreciated, the harm it prevents over-rated, and that cycling works better than most drugs. He was named Specialist Journalist of the Year in the 2011 British Press ...
said David Cameron after the Woolwich murder on Wednesday . He then buckled. Everyone buckled. The home secretary buckled, the defence secretary buckled, the communities secretary buckled, the mayor of London buckled, the chief of police buckled, the press buckled, the BBC summoned its senior editors and they buckled. Everyone buckled.The first question in any war - terrorism is allegedly a war ...
Making the news
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
THE WESTIN, LOS ANGELES AIRPORT
This substantial hotel is easily accessed on Century Boulevarde. Driving in to the entrance area, the hotel main lobby greets ...Keep reading
Record Your Vote
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Knoxville TimesKnoxville Times – News Portal for Knoxville, Tennessee
The Knoxville Times is essentially a local Knoxville newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Knoxville, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Knoxville, Tennessee, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Knoxville Times.
Of the forty five U.S. senators who voted down Wednesday's gun reform bill, 42 have received funding from arms manufacturers or their agents.
The London newspaper The Guardian revealed the statistic on Thursday citing a study dating back to 1990.
On Capitol Hill, 45% of the Senate was able to derail a proposal that polls say is supported by roughly 90% of Americans.
"Everyone who voted yesterday knows after reading that bill, in their heart of hearts, that the bill would have made America safer," MSNBC's co-host Mika Brzezinski said on Thursday's Morning Joe. "We are the 90%," his co-host Joe Scarborough added. "And 90% will not be ignored."
Forty one Republicans voted against the bill, as did four Democrats.
"All in all this was a pretty shameful day for Washington," President Barack Obamai, in company with victims of gun violence, told a press conference in the Rose Garden Wednesday.
Seven amendments were put up, covering assault weapons, high-capacity magazines and straw purchases. All 7 amendments were defeated.
The senators who opposed the bills were:
1. Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN)
2. Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R-NH)
3. Sen. ...
- Medal of Honor winner McGarity dies in Tenn.
- Knoxville welcomes new Classic Hits radio station
- Vicksburg marks anniversary of Civil War siege
- North Knoxville Medical Center completes ER expansion
- Kirklands first-quarter income drops but beats expectations
- DC comics win court case over Melbourne gyms Superman workout
- Find how fit you are for your age
- Brad Pitts drug tales
- USA Today Neyland Stadium has one of sports most unique fields
- Priority Health Bullying and Parents
- Bangladeshs Green Radio heralds new era of environment education
- Country diary Allendale Northumberland Hedgehogs have everything they need in this garden
- Arctic bacteria found living in Mars-like environment
- Booker sees boost from horsemeat scandal
- Nonprofits find difficult funding environment Video
- Need more positive signs before scaling back stimulus, says Bernanke
- Chidambaram says U.S. Federal Reserves statement misunderstood calls for calm
- GM recalls nearly 20000 new Cadillac SRX SUVs
- Wheat gains on overseas demand
- Muni bond investors on edge over tax proposal
- Do women get two types of orgasms
- Sonia Gandhi Nooyi among Indians in Forbes worlds top 100 Most Powerful Women List
- Daily dose of calcium helps women live longer
- Oz girls team coach says more women to pursue cricket career following pay rise
- Womens Day at the UEFA Champions Festival
- Panthers confirm signing of top pick Lotulelei
- Report DUI charge for Titans Barden tossed
- Sims wont return to Houston for senior season
- NL West Team targets for 13 draft
- LeBron unanimous Kobe on All-NBA first team
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Knoxville Times headlines delivered to your inbox.
- 2 dead 2 injured in Bean Station pharmacy shooting
- Worker injured at KUB project
- Xinergy shareholders say no to CEO stock options
- Email Fired UT judicial affairs director claimed hostile work environment discrimination before dismissal
- Medic hosting Parrothead blood drive on Thursday